Kenya YMCA - Chavakali
The late Joel Ludubwi, together with efforts of National Council of Kenya YMCA established Chavakali YMCA in 1976.The branch is located in Solongo sub location, West Maragoli Location, Sabatia Division, Vihiga District is mainly Agriculture where various vegetables and cereals are grown.
The area is densely populated and the pressure on land is quite high. The average land holding in the district is 1.2 acres. Most household experience perpetual food deficiency due to poor yields from their farms as a result of poor farming techniques. The district has one of the highest rainfall records in this country.
Chavakali YMCA (Branch) is one of the 31 local YMCA branches in Kenya. Our primary concern is improvement of the quality of life within the communities in Sabatia constituency where the branch is located. Our term is dedicated to the common YMCA fraternity goal developing the whole person, body and spirit.
YMCA Chavakali branch has been working with people through groups largely from the ranks of the poor in the division. Working with poor largely means;
-Finding new ways of socializing relationships.
-Search for ways to achieve gender equality
-Agendas to narrow the rich-poor divide.
-Fighting discrimination across the board social status class ethnicity and religion.
An organized branch with sustainable programmes and projects for self reliance and sustainability for a just society
Provide a professional leadership and effective management of programmes/projects to support social delivery.
1. To establish and strengthen a sound financial base for sustainability and self reliance of our programmes and activities.
2. To provide and sustain diverse and affordable quality recreational services to the community with special emphasis to the youth and women.
3. 3.To develop sustainable youth and community programmes with an aim of empowering them to be self reliant.
YMCA Chavakali branch in collaboration with several women groups self groups local schools local health centers local churches and government of Kenya Institutions has taken up the challenge of striving to alleviate poverty. We have been committed to the worldwide mission of the YMCA movement as set out below:
· Working for equality and justice
· Fostering love, peace and understanding
· Building a society that rewards honesty, depth and creativity.
Our comprehensive approach to develop in partnership with local stakeholders focuses on programmes that are community initiated community led which have had a big impact in Chavakali.
1. Advocated for the needs of local communities
2. Enhanced food security
3. Provided technical skills for the employment of the youth
4. Developed leadership of youth generation
5. Mobilizing resource baser for sustainability
6. Incorporated a networking structure with other development organizations for service delivery.
Improve the quality of education through hiring of quality personnel, equipping and refurbishment of the existing facility
Refurbish and acquire new recreational equipment to (sports facilities) make the centre youth friendly
Mobilize and fund for a viable and affordable health programme to reach out to the entire Chavakali community
Mobilize resources so as to extend on farming development activities focusing on poverty reduction through improved farming techniques and methodologies
Establish and build new strategic partnerships and networks